Dear Mom... “Dr. Mom”
Mom, you did so much for me growing up. So much that went unnoticed, unappreciated and most of all without even so much as a thank you. You took Angie, David and I as little human beings and helped to mold us into us productive, smart and loving big human beings. So much of who I am today is founded in you.
When I was little, there were so many doctors’ appointments. So much a young mother should not have had to bear, but you did so unconditionally just because it was part of you. I am sure this wore on you especially with Angie and David in tow. For this I never ever thanked you. Thank you.
You always encouraged me to try new things whether it be taking something apart or experimenting with new concoctions. Ok, when I took my new tape recorder apart to see how it worked, you weren’t too pleased but at least you didn’t ground me for too long! When I got older, we used to love cooking together and especially making crepes on Saturday mornings when I was taking French class. Remember the “oh so bad” for us mushrooms cooked in all that butter? YUM YUM!! Ahhh and the abalones plucked right off the shore in Catalina. I remember having this bag of abalones, cleaning them in the kitchen sink not knowing what the heck I was doing. You just looked over my shoulder all the way, not once laughing at me, but always laughing with me. Then, we pounded them silly and cooked them in yes…butter!! YUM!!
We rarely said thank you and mostly gave you grief as kids and as our independent upbringing took hold, us kids flew the coop. When we fell down, mama bird was always there to pick us up and help. Whenever we needed you, there you were. When we didn’t need you, you hid away in the background but we always knew you were only a call or drive away if we needed something. You always welcomed us back to the nest, not matter what.
You were always so determined to succeed letting nothing stand in your way. Your intellect combined with that determination enabled you to earn a doctorate while maintaining a household and working full time. I was so proud of "Dr. Mom". You had worked so very hard.
As the years went by, all of us kids went our ways to live our lives. I started to realize just how much you did for me. We did not always see eye to eye and did not always agree. Sometimes there were long absences, but over the past few years, we were reconnecting and rekindling mother-son bond. Your love never wavered, your patience never waned. You were always my Mom and always will be.
I am so glad we visited just two short weeks ago. That spark you always had in your eye was still there even through the pain of cancer and turmoil of treatment. I was going to visit you today, but the cancer just got the better of you before I could get there. You are in such a better place now and for that I am extremely happy. You are at peace and free of the pain.
I love you Mom. One day, I will see you again and make you a strawberry crepe.
Love Jay
No comments:
Post a Comment